Why Do You Need to Delete Everything on Windows 7
You may need to delete everything on your Windows 7 computer for the following reasons:
The computer becomes slow, as it is gradually full of trashes as time goes by.
No free disk space for installing updates.
You just bought a used computer and then various failures happen to it.
Try to sell or donate to other people.
In the above cases, you may want to know how to delete everything on Windows 7. But before you set about deleting everything on your computer, please back up important files from your computer to external storage device so that the files won’t be destroyed in the following steps.
Factory Reset Windows 7
Factory reset can delete everything on Windows 7. To factory reset Windows 7, you need to use an installation media or a recovery disk, because Windows 7 doesn’t have a built-in factory reset option.
But some computer manufacturers may have created a hidden recovery partition for Windows 7 computers. If your computer is in such case, you can factory reset Windows 7 without CD.
Here is the tutorial on how to delete everything on Windows 7 without CD.
- Press Start button
- Choose Control Panel.
- Choose System and Security.
- Click Backup and Restore.
- Click Recover system settings or your computer.
- Click Advanced recovery methods.
- Click the option “Return your computer to factory condition“. Please note if there is no such option, it means that your computer doesn’t have the preinstalled recovery partition.
After factory reset, you may also need to delete other partitions on Windows 7.
Wipe Windows 7 with an Installation Media
If you can’t wipe Windows 7 with factory reset option, you need to use an installation media to do that.
To learn more about how to wipe a Windows 7 computer, check out post via the link below.
Step 1: Make a Windows 7 installation media. Please note that if you want to upgrade the PC to Windows 10 after wiping Windows 7, you should make a Windows 10 installation media.
- Download disk image files for your computer.
- Then download the tool used for burning bootable disk on Windows 7.
- Connect a USB drive to your computer. Then, launch Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool and follow the wizard to burn the ISO file onto the USB flash drive.
Step 2: After the Windows installation media is completed, restart your computer and boot into the Firmware. Adjust the boot sequence to make the computer boot from the Windows installation media.
Step 3: After entering WinPE, click Next > Repair your computer > Next > Command Prompt.
Step 4: Type the following commands one by one to delete all partitions on the disk.
- List disk
- Select disk 2 (the disk number should be replaced accordingly)
- Clean all
- Create partition primary
- Format fs=ntfs quick (the file system type can be replaced as your will)
- assign letter = f
Wipe Windows with MiniTool Partition Wizard
If you want to avoid data disclosure risk better after you sell or donate your computer, you can use MiniTool Partition Wizard to wipe your computer more radically.
With MiniTool Partition Wizard, you can easily delete everything on your Windows 7 computer.
- Buy MiniTool Partition Wizard and launch it to get to its main interface.
- Click Bootable Media after registering your account.
- Choose WinPE-based media
- Choose a USB drive as the media destination.
- Enter the Firmware to make the computer boot from the bootable disk.
- Do nothing but wait for MiniTool Partition Wizard Bootable Edition to open.
- Get to the main interface, right-click a disk, and select Wipe Disk.
- Select a wiping method.
- Click Apply to wipe data.
Then, you can create a new partition and install new OS on the computer.